Saturday 12 January 2013

Send Me a Sign, Tiffany Schmidt

Send Me a Sign by Tiffany Schmidt, reviewed by Bronte

What's this book about?
Mia is always looking for signs. A sign that she should get serious with her soccer-captain boyfriend. A sign that she’ll get the grades to make it into an Ivy-league school. One sign she didn’t expect to look for was: “Will I survive cancer?”

Who should read this book?
This book is a young adult book classed under realistic fiction. It had romance, humour, sadness and isn't very predictable.

How long is this book?
384 pages, an average size book.

Marks
Story Line: 8/10
Well written: 4/5
Enjoyability: 3/5
Overall: 15/20

Star Rating:
4 Stars.

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?
For me, I would most like to have tea with Gyver. Yes I know, strange name so you think strange person but he is the complete opposite. He is loving, funny, sweet, generous, gentle and really I could go on but I will let you read and come up with your own opinion. I think he would be very easy to be around and talk to about nothing and everything, but yet it's still comfortable and not awkward being with him at all.

Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
This would definitely be Mia's Mum. She is very self-centred and this shows as you get further into the book. The fact that she is more concerned with how she appears to others and what others think about her and her family is a little unnerving when the reason for this is because her only daughter has cancer! If I was Mia I would have got very annoyed with her from the beginning and not just put a false smile on.

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?
I like the simplicity of this cover and like the colour however I am not sure it reflects the actual story. But for me this okay, the cover doesn't always have to relate to the book, it has to be eye catching a different so that you will pick it up and think 'Oh this looks good, I will give it ago'. In the end people do read books purely because they liked the cover. Or because they heard about it on an awesome review site. Hint. Hint.


Question 4. What do you think of the title do you think there is an alternative?
I like this title very much. This, unlike the cover, does have something to do with the book. Mia is superstitious and always looking for signs to tell her what to do and in some cases this makes her blind to see what is, in my opinion, plainly obvious that you wouldn't do that, or would do that. In contrast, though, it does create some of the humorous parts in the novel.

Question 5. Favourite quote!
'Mi amore' - All will become clear if you read this novel.

Overall:
I think that this book was quite good, 15/20. One of the problems I had with it was the fact that the structure was a little boring. It had a very long beginning, clearly trying to set the scene for the reader, but for me I think that this went on for too long. There was then a period of, to be frank, nothing much, or rather just repetition of what had been already taking place which for me made me disengage with the story a little. When the ending seemed in sight so much was taking place in the last 50 pages that it felt like the ending was rushed and could have been spread out a lot more to make the story longer lasting. Overall though, a good debut from Schmidt, and I look forward to reading more from her.

What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

No comments:

Post a Comment