Wednesday 23 January 2013

Wonder, R. J Palacio

Wonder by R.J Palacio reviewed by Izzy

What is this book about?
August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?
Who should read this book?
I'm finally able to say all teenagers. Thank gosh. Man, that's a huge relief. BOYS, YOU CAN READ THIS ONE TOO.

How long is this book?
313 pages

Marks
Story Line:   9/10
Well written:  4/5
Enjoyability:  4/5
Overall:  17/20

Star Rating: 4 Stars.

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?

It's a toss up between the obvious choice of Auggie and his sister Via. I'm thinking Via because she's my age, so we'd have more to talk about. I still feel as hard as her parent's try Via is always going to be slightly overlooked and overshadowed. Also in the book she seems so sweet and smart. I like sweet and smart people.

WonderQuestion 2. What character would you most like to throw teat at?

Julian's Mum. You can almost forgive Julian for his stupid behaviour. He is 10 years old and doesn't know any better. One of the things his Mum does though just made me cry my eyes out. And made me really, really want to throw tea on her.

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?

I'm a big fan of the cover, especially as it's repeated throughout the book. Definitely very eye catching, certain to make you pick it up in your local Waterstones (UK) or Barnes and Noble (USA).

Question 4. What do you think of the title do you think there is an alternative?

I like the title, I do. I like how it ties together at the end. However I think a different title might have been better. Something about a standing ovation maybe?

Question 5. Favourite quote!

"Everyone should get a standing ovation at least once in their life."

Overall: This is the first book ever that has made me cry happy tears and sad tears (also angry tears.) Definitely a... I want to say emotional roller coaster but the phrase is so clichéd and over used. An experience? I don't know, all I know is that this book is special and you won't have read anything like it before.

What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

No comments:

Post a Comment