Saturday 24 August 2013

Classic Corner: Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller reviewed by Izzy

What is this book about?
Unless you didn't already know,Catch 22 is about American bombardier Yossarian set in the 2nd World War. Yossarian is very angry, because not only is the enemy trying to kill him, but so is his "boss," who keeps upping the missions he has to fly. He's caught in a catch 22, if he flies he is insane and doesn't have to, but if he wants to stop flying he must be sane, so has to fly.

Who should read this book?
It's kind of an advanced read, with some really upsetting parts. I think anyone who reads challenging books can read it,but for enjoyability purposes I'd recommend it for 14 and over. If you're younger than that and managed to finish and understand the book then I applaud you! I'm 16 and had some trouble.

How long is this book?
560 pages

Marks
Story Line: 8/10
Well written: 5/5
Enjoyabililty: 3/5
Overall: 16/20

Star Rating: 4 stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?
Major Major Major. That guy just needs one big hug. I don't mind that he looks like Henry Fonda- I think MMM is great. Obviously Yossarian and I would have a great cup of tea, and I would tell him that I love him. But he has friends, I feel like Major Major Major needs me more. Oh I forgot the Chaplain! Oh I love him too. No, Major Major Major. I'm making the right decision here.

Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
 Aarfy. Aarfy. Aarfy.

Question 3. Do you think the flavour deserves to be a classic?
I don't really know if I'm qualified to decide whether any book should be or shouldn't be a classic. However I do think Catch 22 is a completely unique book. Heller has the most interesting writing style that I've ever read, and although I didn't find it completely readable the whole time the fact the writing style was so interesting, I do think it's deserving of it's classic namesake.

Question 4. Can you read the tea leaves from the beginning or are there twist in the plot?
No-one can know what's going to happen with Catch 22. Although the repitive nature of the book you know the end from the beginning but you also don't. You need to read it to understand what I'm trying to say.

 Favourite Quote:
“They're trying to kill me," Yossarian told him calmly.
No one's trying to kill you," Clevinger cried.
Then why are they shooting at me?" Yossarian asked.
They're shooting at everyone," Clevinger answered. "They're trying to kill everyone."
And what difference does that make?”

Overall: Catch 22 is an absolutely spectacular book. It's the only war book (though if I'm being honest I haven't read many) that mixes humour so well with something so unbelievably tragic. This reminds me of a John Green like talent. It takes about 150 pages until you aretruly immersed into the world of Yossarian which means you might give up on it. My advice: keep going. You won't regret it. 


What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

2 comments:

  1. I'm just about to read this book! I have one more to finish before I start it, but I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leeeeex! I miss you and hope you love Catch 22. Remember get past that frst 100 pages. Come back to meeee.
      -Izzy

      Delete