Saturday 3 August 2013

Eleanor and Park, Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, reviewed by Bronte

What is this book about?

Set over the course of one school year in 1986, Eleanor and Park is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.

Who should read this book?

I think that quite a wide range of people could read this book. It is a young adult romance, but that doesn't necessarily mean that older people wouldn't enjoy it. 15+ though.

How long is this book?

335 pages, an average sized book.

Marks
Story Line: 7/10
Well written: 5/5
Enjoyabililty: 4/5
Overall: 16/20

Star Rating: 4 Stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?
If I am honest with myself there isn't really anyone who I clearly and definitely would want to have tea with. Park would be okay to have tea with as would Eleanor, but I don't really know what I would talk to them about; we have nothing in common really. Maybe because I'm from 21st century England and their from 1980's America.

Eleanor & Park
Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
Easy. Richie. Obviously.

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?
This cover is really sweet and I really like it. Its really simple and doesn't show anything but the back of Eleanor and Park, so we don't judge them; yet we see the most defining aspect of them that makes them them: the fact that they bonded over the music and that that's the only thing that matters.

 Question 4b. Can you read the tea leaves from the beginning or are there twist in the plot? (New Question)
Other reviews said that the ending was disappointing however even so I could not have second guessed what was going to happen. Some things became obvious as I was reading but I would say that this book wasn't entirely predictable, which is good.

Question 5. Favourite quote!
"Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something."
I also really liked the Star Wars quotes, but I thought that would give too much of the book away.

Overall:
Overall I can say that I did really enjoy this book. It is a bit different and not normally something that I would usually pick up; but it had been recommended by a certain person called Izzy, so I read it. I'm glad I did. What I struggled with in this book, which the author and any other person couldn't help, is my complete lack of American 80's trivia. There were lots of references to people, clothing items and various objects and things that I didn't understand. However this didn't detract from my general enjoyment of the whole book because I could get the gist of what Rowell was trying to imply. The ending, for me, was not disappointing. I can see why Eleanor did what she did and it was left open which allows a reader to finish it in effect, which I liked.

What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

2 comments:

  1. I really want to read this. I've read almost all good reviews. I'm curious what I'll think of the ending. Sometimes I like an open ending. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, you won't regret reading this book! I have nothing but good things to say about Rowell. -Izzy xx

      Delete