Sunday 3 February 2013

Skin Deep by Laura Jarratt

Skin Deep by Laura Jarratt reviewed by Izzy

What is this book about?
After a car accident that leaves her best friend dead, and scars that will never disappear, Jenna struggles to rebuild her life. She doesn't want to go out, and she hates school. Thankfully a gorgeous boy comes to help her out. Annoyingly, he comes with his own bag of problems. Can Jenna help Ryan, as much as Ryan helps Jenna?

Who should read this book?
I'm starting to annoy myself by saying "teenage girls." It seems slightly sexist. So, anyone. I'd firmly put it in the 12+ category though.

How long is this book?
320 pages

Marks
Story Line:   7/10
Well written:   4/5
Enjoyability:   4/5
Overall:   15/20

Star Rating: 4 stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?
I honestly adore Jenna as a character. She is very much flawed but in ways that simply make you love her. She wasn't bland or dull, something that I fear in so many young adult novels today. She has a personality and a mind of her own. Although she's very focused on her love interest I think this is adds to her character rather than detracts from it.

Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
I think his name was Ed. If he isn't called Ed he's the guy at the pub who's a complete tool. Man I would throw loads of tea at "Ed." (supposed Ed. I'm not sure. These reviews are SO PROFESSIONAL.)

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?
I'm not a fan of photo covers, which makes me worry that if I hadn't got this book from a friend I may have never picked it up. . To me, photo covers make the book look distinctively average.

Question 4. What do you think of the title?
The title is good, and obviously very fitting to the novel. I'm not sure I'm ever going to love a title quite as much as what Jennifer E. Smith gave me, but Skin Deep is a fine title. No strong feelings either way.

Question 5. Favourite quote!
“But good girls don't do that, don't make a fuss, don't upset parents. And I was a good girl so I curled up on the floor and sobbed silently instead."


Overall: I was so, so happy with this book. I think it was probably that I didn't think it would be very good (sorry Laura Jarratt!) and I was very much proven wrong! This book isn't like every other one on your Barnes and Nobles/ Waterstones shelf. It isn't all just about the boy and the girl. In fact one of the major story lines comes in at the second half and is destined to make you gasp and cry just a little. Crongratulations are in order to Laura Jarratt who has definitely made an impact with very good debut.

1 comment:

  1. I've had a copy of this in my TBR pile for nearly a year and I still haven't read it. I've read many good reviews though, so I might have to get to it soon! Glad you enjoyed this one! :)

    ReplyDelete