Friday 12 July 2013

Breathe, Sarah Crossan

Breathe by Sarah Crossan, reviewed by Eleanor

What is this book about?
Oxygen levels have fallen due to deforestation and now, years later, people live in the Pod; a huge structure which has oxygen pumped into it. Society is divided into Premiums, who can afford enough oxygen to live a normal life, and Auxiliaries who can barely breathe each day.

Three teenagers end up outside of the Pod with only two days worth of air. Outside, they begin to wonder if their government back home has been telling the complete truth...

Who should read this book?
This is a young adult book, for anyone who enjoys dystopian/vaguely post-apocalyptic novels

How long is this book?
372 pages

Marks
Story Line: 7/10
Well written: 4/5
Enjoyabililty: 3/5
Overall: 14/20

Star Rating:
3 stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?
I'd say Jazz, she's a nine year old girl in the rebel group and her outlook on life is pretty amusing so it would be quite funny having a cup of tea with her, I think.

Breathe (Breathe, #1)Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
Quinn because it's so obvious that his best friend likes him yet he fails to notice. Pffft, boys.

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?
I like the colours on the cover because purple is my favourite colour, it's quite an eye catching picture and it looks very science fiction.

Question 4. What do you think of the title do you think there is an alternative?
I really like titles that are one word long so I think Breathe is a really good title. And it makes sense that the book would be called this with the low oxygen levels outside, etc...

Question 5. Favourite quote!
 "I cough and cough and before long the cough turns into panicked pants. I'll die here."

Overall: I sometimes find that characters in dystopian books can be quite unlikeable and boring but I really liked the characters in this book. Alina, Quinn and Bea were all interesting to read about, which made the book a lot more enjoyable. Although I wouldn't say this is my favourite dystopian book, the plot is exciting and fast paced and it's worth reading.

What did you think of this book? What should we review next?

No comments:

Post a Comment