Wednesday 10 July 2013

Noughts and Crosses, Malorie Blackman

Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman, reviewed by Eleanor

What is this book about?
Callum is a nought -a second-class citizen in a world run my the ruling Crosses...

Sephy is a Cross, the daughter of one of the most powerful men in the country...

In their world, noughts and Crosses simply don't mix. And as violence turns to peace and love, can Callum and Sephy possibly find a way to be together? They are determined to try.

And then the bomb explodes... blurb

Who should read this book?
YA/Teen

How long is this book?
512 pages

Marks
Story Line: 8/10
Well written: 4/5
Enjoyabililty: 4/5
Overall: 16/20

Star Rating: 4 stars

Question 1. Which characters would have the most awkward conversation whilst drinking tea?
I would have to say Meggie and Mrs Hadley (Callum's Mum and Sephy's Mum) After Mrs Hadley firing Meggie, I can see a potentially awkward/angry conversation between them.


Question 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
Jude, Callum's older brother, because he infuriated me for the whole book with his huge inability to think before speaking. I know there were some bordering-on-evil characters in the book, but quite honestly Jude annoyed me more than all of them!

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?
It's simple but clever because the only colours used are black and white and these really make the shapes stand out.

Question 4. What do you think of the title do you think there is an alternative?
I can't decide if I like the title or not. It's simple, like the cover, yet I think it could possibly have been something a little more inventive. Maybe. No idea what though!

Question 5. Favourite quote!
"Do you ever wonder what it would be like if our positions were reversed? If we whites were in charge instead of you Crosses?"

Overall: I really enjoyed this book! It's clever and thought provoking and has a really unexpected ending, which I love in a book! I've been meaning to read Noughts and Crosses for a long time and I'm so glad I finally have. It was definitely worth reading!

Do you have any summer reading recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment