Sunday 17 August 2014

All The Truth That's In Me, Julie Berry

All The Truth That's In Me by Julie Berry, reviewed by Eleanor


Publisher: Templar Publishing
Buy this book: Amazon uk/Amazon us
Number of pages: 272

What is this book about? Judith has been missing for a long time. Kidnapped two years ago she has now returned home to her mother and brother, only without a tongue. Unable to speak, Judith silently pours out her thoughts to Lucas, the boy she is completely in love with. (blurb)


Who should read this book? Young Adult.



Star Rating: 4 stars

Would you have tea with the protagonist?

Yes, I would. Although, as she cannot talk, there would not be much conversation.

Would you fall for the main love interest?
I don't think I would. Lucas is great for Judith but not for me.

Would you want to 'strain' the main antagonist?
There isn't a main antagonist, there are just lots of misunderstood people who I probably wouldn't strain.

Were the characters three dimensional?
Yes, they were 3D and they were real people.

Do you like the authors flavour of writing?
The style of writing is not 'modern' at all but I really really liked it.

Was the writing strong or weak?
I would definitely describe the writing as strong but in a really good way.

Was the ending to your taste?
The ending was very much to my taste. It tied up loose ends but not so much that it became sickening.

If this cover were tea, would you drink it?
No. I don't mind the cover but it is a little bland, in my opinion.

Favourite Quote:
“And what rules of economy dictate that a boy without a foot is more whole than a girl without a tongue?”


Overall: You have to start this book with an open mind. It's different to your typical young adult book and, at first, it is quite a slow read. But then, all of a sudden, you realise that you absolutely have to know what happens and that you do not want to put the book down until you have heard the whole of Judith's story. Judith makes this book. She is a truly amazing protagonist who makes normal people decisions, (I cannot stand it when the (main) characters in books make stupid, unnecessary decisions that no one would ever even contemplate) she's not annoying and she's real. The plot is clever and unwinds slowly as Judith opens up more and more to Lucas, the boy she loves with all her heart. The whole book is written in second tense, which is different but only adds to the book in a positive way and makes it stand out against other novels. This book surprised me with how good it was and, although it is very different to a lot of the books out there, I would definitely, definitely recommend it. I loved it!


What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

No comments:

Post a Comment