Monday 25 August 2014

The Key to the Golden Firebird, Maureen Johnson

The Key to the Golden Firebird by Maureen Johnson, reviewed by Eleanor


Publisher: HarperCollins Publisher
Buy this book: Amazon uk/Amazon us
Number of pages: 297

What is this book about?
As three teenage sisters struggle to cope with their father's sudden death, they find they must reexamine friendships, lifelong dreams, and their relationships with each other and their father. (goodreads)
Who should read this book?
If you like Sarah Dessen, you'll definitely like Maureen Johnson.

Star Rating: 3 Stars

Would you have tea with the protagonist? Yeah, I guess. Although she's pretty busy holding her family together to do anything for fun.

Would you fall for the main love interest? No, Pete is sweet but a bit too annoying for me.

Would you want to 'strain' the main antagonist? The books I have been reading recently have had a severe lack of obvious antagonists. I'd say May's nemesis is her past. And yes, I would strain it.

Were the characters three dimensional? Yep.

Do you like the authors flavour of writing? It kept me reading so yes.

Was the writing strong or weak? It was an easy read.

Was the ending to your taste? At the very end it was but there were a couple of things that happened towards the end that I didn't really care for.

If this cover were tea, would you drink it? No.

Favourite Quote: "The funny thing about stop signs is that they're also start signs.”

Overall: This is a good read, written in a style similar to Sarah Dessen's novels. I preferred it to '13 Little Blue Envelopes', (the first book I reviewed!) just because I liked May more than Ginny, but they are both great books. I read this fairly quickly, in about a day I think, so it's not a difficult read at all and the ending is nice!


What did you think of this book? What would you like us to review next?

No comments:

Post a Comment