Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli reviewed by Izzy
Author: WebsitePublisher: Scholastic
Buy this book: Amazon
Rating: 4 Stars
What is this book about?
From the day she arrives at quiet Mica High in a burst of color and sound, hallways hum “Stargirl.” She captures Leo Borlock’s heart with one smile. She sparks a school-spirit revolution with one cheer. The students of Mica High are enchanted. Until they are not. Leo urges her to become the very thing that can destroy her - normal (Goodreads)
Who should read this book?
How long is this book?
1. Would you like to have tea with the protagonist? (Stargirl)
2. Would you fall for the main love interest? (Leo)
No, unfortunately Leo was not for me.
3. Would you want to "strain" the main antagonist? (Hillari)
Meh. She was unpleasant but I wouldn't strain her.
4. Were the characters three dimensional?
Interesting question with this book. I'm going to say no.
5. Would you like to have tea in a cafe in Mica High?
Ugh, definitely not. It is a high school that celebrates conformity.
6. Do you like this authors flavour of writing?
7. Was this writing strong or weak?
Medium. Not beautiful, but fine.
8. Was the ending to your taste?
9. If this cover were tea, would you drink it?
YES- so pretty.
10. Favourite Quote?
"Live today. Not yesterday. Not tomorrow. Just today. Inhabit your moments. Don’t rent them out to tomorrow. Do you know what you’re doing when you spend a moment wondering how things are going to turn out with Perry?
Overview: Stargirl Caraway is the ultimate Manic Pixie Dream Girl. She is beautiful and wonderful, but I don't believe her. Spinelli was trying to personify the antithesis of conformity which he did extremely well in Stargirl. Can we relate to her? No. Does this stop the book being enjoyable? No. I'd heard so many good things about this book and I would echo them. I can't promise it will be to everyone's taste but if you are in High School right now, this book is perfect. Spinelli has truly created a modern classic.