Sunday 19 January 2014

You Had Me At Hello, Mhairi McFarlane

You Had Me At Hello by Mhairi McFarlane reviewed by Izzy

What is this book about?

Rachel and Ben. Ben and Rachel. It was them against the world. Until it all fell apart. It’s been a decade since they last spoke, but when Rachel bumps into Ben one rainy day, the years melt away.

They’d been partners in crime and the best of friends. But life has moved on: Ben is married. Rachel is not. Yet in that split second, Rachel feels the old friendship return. And along with it, the broken heart she’s never been able to mend. (Harper Collins)

Who should read this book?

This book has been doing really well in the adult market in England, however it's great for anyone over the age of thirteen. Nothing explicit but I think it's a bit slow moving for anyone under the age of 13.

How long is this book?

 436 pages

Marks
Story Line:  5/10
Well written:  4/5
Enjoyablilty:  3/5
Overall:   12/20

Star Rating: 3 stars

Question 1. What character would you most like to have tea with?

Rachel's best friend was called Mindy and although she was a bit of an airhead, for a secondary character McFarlane made her very real and brilliantly enjoyable. Plus, she was just hilarious, probably with some of the best one liners in the whole novel.

You Had Me At HelloQuestion 2. What character would you most like to throw tea at?
  
SIMON. SIMON. SIMON. I'm not a fan at all and I knew his true colours from the beginning.

Question 3. What do you think of the cover?

It's okay, but for such a great book I think it's not doing the storyline complete justice. But hey, no photo. Wohoo! Fist pump!

Question 4. What do you think of the title do you think there is an alternative?

It reminds me so much of my favourite line in one of my favourite romantic comedies, Jerry Maguire. Completely brilliant. So cute and lovely.

Question 5. Favourite quote!

“It's pathetic, I knew I did from that first moment we met. It was...not love at first sight exactly, but - familiarity. Like: oh, hello, it's you. It's going to be you. Game over."


Overall: This book was SO much better than I expected, and I absolutely loved it. So enjoyable, though slow moving in parts. The ending reached a pretty sharp conclusion, but I still really enjoyed. A sparkling, debut by someone who really knew her setting. I'm certain this isn't the last time McFarlane will be topping the Kindle charts.

No comments:

Post a Comment